Tuesday 31 July 2007

Champion commentators

I've just read a very good article on the BBC by Clive James. It's all about ex-tennis champions turned commentators and had it had me grinning right from the start with this insightful question:

'Why is either of Rafael Nadal's upper arms thicker than Tim Henman's neck?'

It carries on from there, incuding a very good section about grunting, staring Maria Sharapova, of course. You can read the full article here.

Also on the BBC, I notice that Lindsay Davenport, as well as returning to doubles tennis, has decided that she's up to playing singles tennis again and is planning to return in Bali in September.

This is good news and I shall be interested to see how well she plays. I have a theory that marriage often ruins the abilty to play well - my favourite example is Andre Agassi in his Brooke Sheilds era. Justine Henin is back to form now, but played her worst tennis whilst married. Pure coincidence? I believe not. However, I will be very pleased should Davenport prove me wrong.

No comments: