Tuesday 26 June 2007

A inauspicious start

After a busy weekend I had to make my the choices for my Wimbledon team on Monday morning before play began.

A quick half-hour scan of the draw and I elected the following players:


Henin, Ivanovic, Safina, Bartoli and Mirza.

Federer, Berdych, Gasquet, Nalbandian and Stepanek.


It was a tough choice between Sharapova and Henin, and Gasquet and Ljubicic but time was against me and I was forced to pick one without too much oohing and aahing.

The men's unseeded caused me much trouble. I'd had Mahut or Clement in mind, and what happened, yes of course, they were drawn against each other in the first round. I'd been in a similar situation at Roland Garros in 2004 when I spent ages deliberating as to whether Cañas or Gaudio would win their first-round encounter. In the end, I plumped for Cañas and then Gaudio went on to win the tournament - typical. So this time I avoided making such decisions and decided on Grosjean instead. Then I glimpshed Stepanek in the draw and changed my mind. If I'd not been in such a rush and looked more closely I would've noticed he was playing Mathieu in the first round and would've stuck with Sebastien. It's easy to say now. Bah, one player down already. The really annoying thing is that I rushed to get my players chosed before Wimbledon started at 11am UK time, announced them to Tortoiseshell and K, and then play was delayed by rain.

No comments: