Tuesday 19 June 2007

It's that time of year again...

..and I'm getting excited. I'm not sure why since I can't a) go to Wimbledon or b) watch it on my non-existent TV. Even if I had one it's not shown on terrestrial Spanish channels and I can't get cable all the way up here. But still, I'm getting a tingly feeling of anticipation.

I put this down to memories of my visits to Wimbledon (more on them in a later post), memories of all the good times spent in front of the TV watching Wimbledon, and the fantasty tennis competition that Tortoiseshell, K and I take part in during every Slam (The Aus Open, Roland Garros, Wimbledon, and the US), in its seventh year now (maybe one day we'll beat Ferreira's 55 consecutive slams record). K has been our reigning Wimbledon champ for the last three years and I'm plotting to swipe the crown. Winning Wimbledon would be extra welcome as I've has a dry year so far - K took the Aus Open and Tortoiseshell Roland Garros (beating me by only eight points, serves me right for picking Petrova).

Here's how it works in case anyone else would like to proffer a team. You pick ten players, five women and five men. You can have one top five seed, one top 10 seed, two other seeds and an unseeded player. If a player goes out in the first round that's zero points, second round, 5 points, then 10, 15, 20, 30 with 40 for the runner up and 50 for the eventual winner. Also, if your unseeded player knocks out a seed you're awarded giant-killing points, which can greatly boost your final score, if you choose your player wisely. For example, if you knock out the 32nd seed, you get 1 point, the 31st seed, 2 points and so on, all the way up to 32 extra points for beating the number 1 seed. We also used to have 10 points for knocking out Henman, although we've scrapped that since it became a forgone conclusion and isn't so much fun anymore.

Anyway, time to get back to my scheming and tingling. More later.

No comments: